Mental Health Matters was developed from the course Confident Staff, Confident Children (CSCC), which ran for 10 years in Edinburgh and much of the Lothian and Borders. Youth Scotland previously facilitated the course under the name Growing Confidence (3 sessions) and have been been granted further permission to share this updated and expanded course with our member groups.
Each session contains a balance of discussion, group activities and opportunities for self-reflection.
- Mental Health – an introduction to risk and protective factors for mental health.
- Brain development across the lifespan – examining the changes that take place in the brain throughout childhood and adolescence and how the changes influence behaviour.
- Managing stress and anxiety – exploring the impact of stress on brain and body and how to support the management of it in ourselves and others.
- Attachment & trauma – increasing knowledge and understanding of secure and insecure attachment styles on child development and how to better support children and young people who have experienced trauma and adversity.
- Resilience & Healing – normalising the ups and downs of life while exploring how resilience can mitigate the impact of childhood adversity.
- Looking after our wellbeing – understanding why we need to look after our mental health as well as those we support and reviewing practical strategies to help us do this.