What is Inspire 2022?
Taking inspiration from the tenth anniversary of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Inspire 2022 is a youth-led, events-based social action programme which uses national events as a springboard for young people to design positive activities for their own communities, bridging community divides and giving young people a voice in a year of national celebration.
Delivered in Scotland by Youth Scotland, it is funded by £1.2m from Spirit of 2012 and £500,000 from the #iwill Fund (a joint investment between The National Lottery Community Fund and Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport), and designed in partnership with Local Trust.
Who can get involved?
We are looking for teams of 6-8 young people (aged 11-25) to get involved from Youth Scotland member groups. If you are not yet a member group of Youth Scotland, you can join quickly and easily for only £55!
Youth Scotland will support young people from our member groups to pitch for, design and create their own social action events!
The young people can be inspired by one of the events happening this year, for example Commonwealth Games, Scotland’s Year of Stories, International Women’s Day.
- Teams take part in training where they discover issues in their local communities and gain event planning and project design skills. In this training they will plan an event that will benefit their community
- Teams are then supported by Youth Scotland to pitch their ideas to a panel of judges, who decide if they’ll be granted up to £800 to run their event
- Teams are supported by their youth club to run their event and make a difference locally
Teams will also have the option to complete a Dynamic Youth Award
There are two additional funds available:
- The access fund which aims to break down barriers to taking part in this project. This can cover translators, transport, large print resources or anything else that will help young people take part
- The youth worker support fund covers youth worker time and travel up to £400
What’s happened so far?
Over 40 member groups have take part and have planned and delivered a whole range of events, including a litter pick, a young carers roadshow, a treasure hunt, mental health community fun days, a community meal, sports days and Christmas parties. Be inspired by them, or come up with your own amazing ideas!